Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sleeping is the only love
Sitting in the kitchen, in the gray light of a new day. This is the rote life of the routine. I read a week-old paper and depress myself with old news. On the cover is a picture of a train in ruins, totally ablaze. In two seconds, accompanying this imagery, is my housemate’s alarm is going off at full tilt. It’s one of those beeping-variety alarms which would have most people out of bed in moments. But I listen as it goes off for four minutes, and then 20. The beeping, at some unspecified point, begins to invert and turn in on itself, like syncopated drumming. And then on top of the syncopated alarming, his mobile phone’s alarm begins to go off, creating a symphony of the damned. I just sit there, not having the heart to go in and wake him. Silently, I go out of the door, closing it behind me with an audible thud. It is a new day, I assure myself, full of vigor and hope and optimism. Anything can happen.

Joy, my hapless coworker, is conjecturing over days off when I arrive. On her calendar she has the projection of making it one whole month without taking a day off, noted by a graphic x drawn in black sharpie on today’s date. “If I can just make it through the rest of this week,” she tells me facetiously, “I think I might be able to do it.” There is no possible way of this actually happening, but it’s a nice thought. Last week alone she missed two days, and it could be the guilt factor of not living up to expectations (nix), or just a futile nod in the direction of approximated rightness. But either way, I would not bet on her making it a month. Her only hopes of actually carrying out this outrageous plan are erroneously premised on the idea that we have one 4-day week coming, but she’s got it wrong. “Aw, shit,” she intones under her breath when she finds out they are full workweeks. She dials a friend, canceling her plans for that day. And when she’s had enough of talking, she tells the person on the other end of the phone that her court shows are coming on, and hangs up the phone with a clunk.

Everyday is the same, virtually. What changes mostly, are the conversations, inserting random greetings and garble before sending on my way. In 8 weeks I feel subverted totally, crushed into dimensions that are beyond me. My coworkers poke fun at me, laughing about how I don’t listen to their stories or remember anything. And it’s true. I can’t remember anything, and all I seem able to do is sit there with a docile stare, totally unable to understand. An article I have recently read about the Maine National Guard tells about how families were provided with life sized cardboard cutouts for family members in Iraq, and I keep thinking if I could just get one of those, weekend at bernies-style. That’d be good. In the meanwhile I could go out and do the things that I actually do, which are also shrouded in total mystery but are more or less horrific, clacking away on a keyboard somewhere.

The drizzle just seems to keep on coming today. And some days are that way. I see the receptionist seeing me on the way out. "Forgot your umbrella," she says to me, motioning towards the weather. They have the standard issue work umbrella, unimaginably. Oh, well, I tell her, before hustling out. Another day, another dollar. The alarm is sounding, but we are inert and lifeless and dead. The most unimaginable variety also, where the silence does not sound.

No comments: