Monday, October 15, 2007

You've got your big cheese/ I've got my hash pipe
The day seems impossibly long after only a few hours. I called in late to work today, after a late night out. “Joy,” I say into the phone before she shouts back my name. “Ryy!” she says into the receiver, “HOW ARE YOU DOING??” And then, before I have time to answer, she’s off about how nobody’s on time today, and can I come in quickly? It’s not there’s a lot of work to do, or anything that actually necessitates my being there. No, the root of the problem is that she’s just really lonely. “I’ll do my best,” I tell her, before hanging up the phone and hastily falling back asleep.

H.’s wedding turned out not to be a total fiasco, although we did manage to alienate ourselves right off by admitting that we’re not fans of the rock group Phish. This was, strangely, one of the first questions posed to us, which, once unsatisfactorily answered, excluded us from the more illicit proceedings taking place out back all night. The moral being, if you want to smoke weed with the ex-hippies seated at your table, you have got to read between the lines and at least pretend that their musical predilections are not startlingly inferior to your own.

On the way out, I am practically sprinting to the car, when KD tells me to slow down. And it’s true, I think: why am I walking so fast? My whole life, I’ve recently conjectured, is a series of events that I’m ploughing through joylessly. Somebody else recently asked me if I was in a hurry to get going, and I realized, no sooner did I arrive at the bar the other night then I immediately began worrying about how I was going to get home again, the logistics involved, and sundry other concerns. What the hell is wrong with me, I don’t know. There’s so much getting through the things I need to get through, to get to the all of the other things which need getting through. And rarely is anything ever accomplished, when the work is never done. I am stressing out over the details in the car ride on the way home, when I realize: I really probably should check in on some of those jam bands.

No comments: