Tuesday, November 28, 2006

20 darts into your backs
You really just have to appreciate Joy’s outfit today: she is wearing a T-shirt, with some haphazard blue swirling print, which contains the message, Land of Liberty. It seems almost hilarity invoking as she sits there, slumped over on her desk, reading True Romance Magazine. The worker who distains work, and flat-out refuses. Where else on the planet could you be employed to do this? You really just have to love the public sector, with its collective distain and lurid scowls, walking by my window all day.

I have just returned from a 30-minute lunch break, which I very explicably stretch into an hour-long break, messing around on the computer and wolfing down a sandwich. My grandmother’s house is right down the road and so I can go over there and make lunch and then leave again. I actually find myself fist pumping today when I notice her car is not in the garage, and am alarmed by this same reaction. After about 20-minutes, as I’m preparing to go, leaving behind a literal bread crumb trail of what is my apparent lunch-making experience, she comes through the door. “—Oh, you would never believe,” she starts in, no introductions, as usual. It makes you feel inanimate and not there, always being talked at like this. But then maybe I’m just uptight, always needing some kind of formality. Why not just cut to the chase, to the heart of the matter— of whatever matters? She was sitting on a bench in the mall, apparently, preparing for the Homeric trek to the car, when she met someone of a similar ilk, with a similar aged grandson. “You would never believe that her grandson works with computers and makes $84,000 a year,” she says with great exuberance. “And his next promotion is going to bring him over the 100,000 mark.” Oh, I tell her, non plussed. That’s good. This is the great leveling fact, and grandma has brought it around, gift wrapped in a special package to reveal to me. There is some sort of club maybe, where grandmas of the world unite and have trading cards of their respective grandchildren, inclusive of statistics and salaries and life achievements printed on the back. Can’t I just be left alone, make lunch in peace and not be distracted by all of this? I’ve almost come to the point where I can block out what I don’t need to hear. But I can hardly ignore this kind of scather. “Why don’t you work with computers?” she wants to know. But the whole thing is, I already do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love grandma stories. As i read it makes me laugh because we all have grandmas and there all the same. Glad to see she hasn't changed.